Saturday, January 12, 2013

What's in a Name? The Reason Behind "Nearer Still"



I have been thinking about starting blog for a while now, but a good friend encouraged me to a few weeks ago, and I think it was the final push I needed! As I was trying to think of a title for it, the phrase “Nearer Still” came to mind. I wanted a name that wouldn’t just be for this season, but that would apply to every stage of life, and I think this one fits that bill. 

Recently Hebrews 4:15-16 have become particularly significant verses of Scripture for me. I have been realizing how easy it is for me to run from God to other things when faced with life’s inevitable challenges. They may be big challenges, or just the small, ordinary, everyday bumps of life, but over and over again my temptation is to look for satisfaction in other things – whether that’s my husband’s attention and approval, the approval of others, productivity (getting things crossed off my “to-do list”), good health, peace and quiet or a host of other things. So often I blame my circumstances for my bad attitude, but I am coming to see that the problem is actually with me, not the circumstances! Sure, there may be difficult things going on at times, but it’s my sinful heart that’s really the issue.  Maybe I actually knew that before - that the problem is really with me. I think I have, deep down. But instead of repenting, I’ve been sitting and wallowing in my sin. 

In a book I am reading right now called “Idols of the Heart”, Elyse Fitzpatrick says: The worship of idols is the reason we’re discontented and it’s why we disobey God, and I recognize that as my perennial problem. I’m at the point where I’m desperate to change. I’m not content to see that I am being sinful and stay there.  I’m not ok with worshipping idols instead of the One True God. Every moment is an opportunity for me to draw near to Him – EVERY moment. When I’m sick, when I am hurting, when I am busy, when I am frustrated with someone – even in these moments, I decide who I will worship. And in every single moment, God’s mercy and grace are available to me, because of Christ. He lived the perfect life I could never live and died the death I deserved to die, in my place, so that now I can actually draw near to God. Even though He knows me and how fickle my sinful heart is... even though He sees how often I worship other things in His place, I can dare to step towards His throne of grace because He’s full of mercy and sympathy and more than able to change me.  

So, I think “Nearer Still” is a good title for this blog. It captures what God is doing in my life right now, but I hope that it is always the cry of my heart as I continue to fight to be a true follower and worshiper of Christ.

There’s a song by Leila N. Morris that was written in 1898 that I think is a perfect way to end this first entry. May this always be my prayer: 

Nearer, still nearer, close to Thy heart,
Draw me, my Savior—so precious Thou art!
Fold me, oh, fold me close to Thy breast.
Shelter me safe in that “Haven of Rest”;
Shelter me safe in that “Haven of Rest.”

Nearer, still nearer, nothing I bring,
Naught as an offering to Jesus, my King;
Only my sinful, now contrite heart.
Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart.
Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart.

Nearer, still nearer, Lord, to be Thine!
Sin, with its follies, I gladly resign,
All of its pleasures, pomp and its pride,
Give me but Jesus, my Lord, crucified.
Give me but Jesus, my Lord, crucified.

Nearer, still nearer, while life shall last.
Till safe in glory my anchor is cast;
Through endless ages ever to be
Nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee;
Nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee

No comments:

Post a Comment